TRW is SOLD OUT, but don’t despair more places may become available soon. To put yourself on the waitlist or if you want to apply for a scholarship please email Hana Tow, Artistic Administrator, on email@example.com or phone on: 07 3010 7672.
Monday 24 September –Saturday 29 September 2018.
Now in its 48th year, Theatre Residency week (TRW) is the longest running theatre program of its kind in Australia. Over the years it has been attended by some of Australia’s leading theatre artists, including Deborah Mailman, Wesley Enoch, Geoffrey Rush, Paul Bishop and Veronica Neave.
What is Theatre Residency Week?
Theatre Residency Week (TRW) is a week-long intensive theatre camp for students in years 9-12. Students live on campus at Stuartholme School in its boarding facilities and spend each day developing their acting skills, with workshops and activities. Students work towards creating a group performance for a live audience, which families and friends can come watch on the final day. In the evening, students are engaged in an exciting social and cultural program, including excursions to see live theatre and opportunities to network with leading artists from Queensland Theatre. It is held each year in the September school holidays and is attended by students from all over Australia.
When and where?
Theatre Residency Week will run from 4pm, Monday 24 September – 9am, Saturday 29 September 2018. It is held at Stuartholme School, Toowong.
How is it supervised?
In the daily workshop program, students choose core group activities to suit their interests. Each of these core groups (usually a maximum of 20 students) are taught by experienced Teaching Artists, carefully selected by Queensland Theatre. For their pastoral care, they are divided into House Parent Groups of approximately 20 students. Each House Parent is experienced in working with young people and we ensure a number of House Parents have First Aid Training, with a fully qualified First Aid Officer onsite at all times. All staff on site at TRW hold Blue Cards and have successfully completed a Working with Children Check by the Queensland Government. Students are supervised at all times and Queensland Theatre exercises their utmost duty of care in the undertaking of the week, but also ask students to exhibit their best self-care and respect at all times.
Please fill in the registration form found at the bottom of this page.
Once you have submitted this registration form, you will be directed to a payment screen where you must pay a $135 deposit in order to confirm and hold your position. Placements are confirmed in order of receipt and it is necessary to both submit this form and finalise payment of the deposit to secure your spot. In previous years, Theatre Residency Week has sold out. To avoid disappointment, submit the registration form and proceed to the payment page to pay the deposit. Full refunds are offered for cancellations prior to Friday 24 August, 2018. After that date, the $135 booking deposit is no longer refundable.
Theatre residency week scholarships
There are a number of different scholarships available for eligible students to apply for in 2018; including the Queensland Theatre's Indigenous Scholarship, the Artistic Director's Excellence Scholarship and the Tim Fairfax Family Foundation Regional and Remote Area Scholarship.
- The Tim Fairfax Family Foundation Regional and Remote Area Scholarship is for students living over 200km from Brisbane and would benefit from financial support to gain access to TRW. This scholarship pays the program cost.
- The Artistic Director's Excellence Scholarship is for students who demonstrate excellence in the Performing Arts and show a passion and drive for a future career in the Arts. This scholarship pays for the program cost only.
- The Queensland Theatre Indigenous Scholarship is designed to encourage young people from Indigenous backgrounds to pursue and explore their passion for Performing Arts. This scholarship pays for travel to/from TRW and the program cost.
How to Apply for a Scholarship
- Indicate on your online application that you intend to apply for a scholarship.
- Attach a 200 - 250 word statement to your online application about why you would benefit from a scholarship. Please identify which scholarship you are applying for. You may also wish to attach additional documents like a supporting reference letter or CV.
- Applications for scholarships close on Friday, 27 July. Scholarship winners will be announced on Friday, 3 August.
- There is no application fee to apply for a scholarship in 2018.
Please note: Applying for a scholarship, and awaiting the outcome of the application, does not secure or hold a place at TRW. If you would like to be guaranteed a place at TRW, whilst you await the outcome of your scholarship application, you must pay a $135 deposit to hold and secure your place. This deposit is fully refundable in the event of being awarded a scholarship or cancelling your booking (prior to Friday 24 August).
For More Information:
If you have any questions about TRW or Scholarships, please contact Laurel Collins, Programming Coordinator, on firstname.lastname@example.org or (07) 3010 7606.