YOUTH ENSEMBLE 2017
Queensland Theatre will provide access for motivated, passionate and talented young performers to develop their skills as actors by working with theatre professionals throughout the year long Youth Ensemble program. The year-long program will demand a high level of commitment from participants and will celebrate and strive for excellence.
The Ensemble trains out of school hours with theatre professionals to develop and advance their skills as actors. Each group will work towards a performance showcase season at a Queensland Theatre home venue. All Ensemble members receive a season ticket to a range of Queensland Theatre productions in 2017 and are invited to participate in group excursions to the theatre throughout the year.
SOME CONSIDERATIONS YOU SHOULD MAKE WHEN APPLYING FOR THE YOUTH ENSEMBLE PROGRAM:
- You are passionate about acting and performance.
- You wish to extend your skills in performance and actor training.
- You are available to commit to a weekly training session once a week and the week-long holiday intensive.
- You are willing to make the Youth Ensemble a priority in your extra-curricular life. Participation in other activities such as sporting clubs, school drama clubs and musicals isn’t discouraged, but careful time management is encouraged by all our participants.
- You must be available for the Intensive Week for the group you are applying for. Attendance at this week is non-negotiable.
- Youth Ensemble Auditions for 2017 will be held in the week beginning November 28, 2016. Filmed auditions will not be accepted.
2017 YOUTH ENSEMBLE COMMITMENT CALENDAR
WHICH ENSEMBLE AM I ELIGIBLE FOR?
- JUNIOR: Year 9 or 10 in 2017
- INTERMEDIATE: Year 11 in 2017
- SENIOR: Year 12 in 2017
The Queensland Youth Ensemble Fees are as follows:
JUNIOR AND INTERMEDIATE ENSEMBLE: $1700/year
SENIOR ENSEMBLE: $2100/year
* These are paid as term instalments but a range of payment plans can be coordinated.
A range of scholarships are available to the Ensemble program. These are full fee and sometimes, half fee scholarships. If you would like to be apply for a scholarship, please indicate so on your application. You will need to attach a formal letter indicating why you would benefit from a scholarship and your dedication to your ongoing training as an actor.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Fill out the online form below. Ensure that your email address is correct as you will receive your audition time via this address.
- Applications close Friday 18 November at 5pm.
- By Wednesday 23 November, you will receive an audition timeslot via email. This will be sometime in the week beginning the 28 November. It will be at either 4pm or 6.30pm at Queensland Theatre, 78 Montague Road, South Brisbane.
- In the email, you will need to accept the audition, then prepare a 2-minute monologue to present. For more details on preparing an audition, see below. This is a group style audition and alongside presenting your monologue for the group, you will be asked to participate in group drama activities. It will run for 2 hours. Parents/caregivers may wait for you onsite in our Green Room.
- Offers will be sent the week beginning the 12 December if not before.
PREPARING A MONOLOGUE
- Choose a monologue from a published play text. If you can, read the whole play. This will give you context and understanding of where the monologue sits in the overall story.
- We would prefer you NOT to choose monologues from films or musical theatre.
- If you have difficulty finding suitable monologues, websites such as Playlab, Australian Plays and Booktopia stock a range of published play texts. You can also search the monologue books on Drama School sites such as NIDA and WAAPA.
- Find a monologue suited to your age, gender and cultural background.
- Practice your monologue in front of friends, your drama teacher or your family and in a range of environments. Get used to standing in front of people performing.
- Avoid using accents, unless you are trained in them.
- Wear something that you can move comfortably in – you do not need to wear a costume, wear clothes you can bend and sit in.