COVID-Safe at Queensland Theatre
Queensland Theatre is operating in accordance with Queensland Health advice — find out more.
Of course, things are different in the age of COVID-19 and we have adapted our venue to provide a safe, friendly and relaxed theatre experience.
Our approved COVID-Safe plan aligns with strict Queensland Health guidelines. Our theatre is approved to operate at 100% capacity, with limits in other high traffic areas like our foyer reduced to comply with physical distancing measures.
It’s not just the actors that have a role to play now, we all have a part in ensuring the show goes on!
What you can do
Please abide by our Conditions of Entry and follow directions from our venue staff as required.
Stay home if you’re not feeling well
- We’ll work with you to either re-book or give you a credit/refund if you can’t attend.
- Our Ticketing Terms & Conditions have been updated to waive our usual exchange fees if you provide 3 hours notice or more.
Register your details
- We are required to register all visitors for contact tracing purposes in accordance with Queensland Health directives.
- We are using the state government's Check In Qld app to register venue attendees.
- Download the app, fill in your details (one-time only), scan the Queensland Theatre QR code on arrival and tap 'Check in now' — then show your successful check in screen to our Front-of-House staff and you're good to go!
- Your details are then securely stored by the Queensland Government for contact tracing if required.
- If you don't have a smartphone or need extra assistance, our staff will be able to record your contact tracing information upon request.
- Visit the Check In Qld website for more information, including FAQs.
Not all heroes wear capes, but they do wear masks
- Under current restrictions, Queensland Health requires all visitors to Queensland Theatre to wear a mask on-site, including during performances.
- If you don't have your own mask, please request one from our Front of House staff before you enter the venue.
Practice good hand hygiene
- Please wash your hands frequently.
- We also have plenty of hand sanitiser available for you to use throughout the venue, don’t be shy with the ‘sanny’.
Keep your distance
- Please maintain physical distance between yourself and other patrons, as well as our staff.
- Under Queensland Health advice, we are currently operating the theatre at 100% capacity.
Foyer Bar refreshments
- Our bar staff are accepting payments for refreshments and light snacks by card only.
- You must be seated to enjoy any food or beverages purchased at the foyer bar, and place your mask back on once finished.
- It is a condition of entry that only food purchased on-site can be consumed in our venue.
Change happens, keep us informed
- Providing your most appropriate contact details when booking helps us get in touch as quickly as possible with any important updates regarding your performance.
- Providing details in advance of any access requirements you may have allows us to seat you appropriately. Our COVID-Safe seating plan means that changes may not be possible by the time you arrive.
What we’re doing
Queensland Theatre has an approved COVID-Safe venue plan in operation:
- it encourages flexible ticket exchanges if you are unwell
- it sets out our regular cleaning of all high touchpoints within the venue, including the foyer bar, seating, railings and bathrooms
- it sets out a maximum of two people in the theatre lift, three people in the female bathrooms and two in the male bathrooms at any one time.
E-tickets and contactless payments
Ticketing will be managed differently:
- We will be issuing e-tickets with your seating information closer to performances, rather than at the time of booking.
- Please have your mobile device ready to present to front-of-house staff as you enter the theatre.
- If you can’t print at home, our Box Office staff can assist on arrival.
- We have updated our Ticketing Terms & Conditions to waive our usual fees to make it easier for you to stay at home if you’re unwell.
To help make bar service faster and safer, we only accept payment by card.
Enhanced daily cleaning regimes
This includes frequent sanitisation of high touchpoints within the venue, including theatre seating, the foyer bar and seating, railings and bathrooms.
As part of our refurbishment of the Bille Brown Theatre in 2018, an all-new, high filtration air conditioning system was installed and will continue to operate at a full audience capacity setting to maximise ventilation in the space.
So while things will seem a bit different, our measures are designed to help everyone feel safe, relaxed and ready to enjoy amazing live theatre again.
We welcome your feedback for ways we can improve our COVID-Safe measures and look forward to seeing you here soon!
Last updated 8 October 2021.