COVID-Safe at Queensland Theatre
Queensland Theatre is excited to reopen the Bille Brown Theatre — we can’t wait to welcome you back.
We all have a role to play in being COVID-Safe
Of course, things are different in the age of COVID-19 and we have adapted our venue to provide a safe, friendly and relaxed theatre experience.
Our approved COVID-Safe plan aligns with strict Queensland Health guidelines and our foyer and theatre capacities have been reduced to comply with physical distancing measures.
It’s not just the actors that have a role to play now, we all have a part in ensuring the show goes on!
What you can do
Please abide by our Conditions of Entry and follow directions from our venue staff as required.
Stay home if you’re not feeling well
- We’ll work with you to either re-book or give you a credit/refund if you can’t attend.
- Our Ticketing Terms & Conditions have been updated to waive our usual exchange fees.
Register your details
- We are required to register all visitors for contact tracing purposes in accordance with Queensland Health directives.
- The fastest way to register is to complete the check-in form we’ll text/email you 48 hours before your performance — then it’s just a quick hello at Box Office on arrival.
- There will also be a QR code to scan at the door and fill in if you haven’t registered beforehand.
- If you aren’t able to register in advance or via your smartphone at the door, our Box Office staff will record your details, but this will increase your queuing time — hand written registration is no longer accepted under Queensland Government guidelines.
Practice good hand hygiene
- Please wash your hands frequently.
- We also have plenty of hand sanitiser available for you to use throughout the venue, don’t be shy with the ‘sanny’.
Keep your distance
- Please follow the floor markers and signage to help space out queuing points and maintain physical distance between yourself and other patrons, as well as our staff.
- We have limited seating options in the foyer and courtyard. Once these have filled up you take your seat inside the theatre – doors will open 30 minutes before the performance.
Pay by card
- Our cashless bar will be operating before performances, and as well as refreshments, we’ll be serving light snacks such as sandwiches, chips and ice cream.
Not all heroes wear capes, but many wear masks
- Queensland Health has not directed face masks as compulsory for theatre audiences, but is encouraging their use in public places, particularly on entry and exit of the theatre.
- You are welcome to do so at Queensland Theatre — we'll even have masks for sale at the foyer bar.
Change happens, keep us informed
- Providing your most appropriate contact details when booking helps us get in touch as quickly as possible with any important updates regarding your performance.
- Providing details in advance of any access requirements you may have allows us to seat you appropriately. Our COVID-Safe seating plan means that changes may not be possible by the time you arrive.
What we’re doing
Queensland Theatre has an approved COVID-Safe venue plan in operation:
- it encourages flexible ticket exchanges if you are unwell
- it sets out our regular cleaning of all high touch points within the venue, including the foyer bar, seating, railings and bathrooms
- it sets out a maximum of two people in the theatre lift, three people in the female bathrooms and two in the male bathrooms at any one time
- actors perform at a minimum of four metres away from the first row of the audience
- theatre seating will be cleaned between performances.
E-tickets and contactless payments
Ticketing will be managed differently:
- We will be issuing e-tickets with your seating information closer to performances, rather than at the time of booking.
- Please have your mobile device ready to present to front-of-house staff as you enter the theatre.
- If you can’t print at home, our Box Office staff can assist on arrival.
- We have updated our Ticketing Terms & Conditions to waive our usual fees to make it easier for you to stay at home if you’re unwell.
To help make bar service faster and safer, we will only accept payment by card and hot food will no longer be offered.
Enhanced daily cleaning regimes
This includes frequent sanitisation of high touch points within the venue, including theatre seating, the foyer bar and seating, railings and bathrooms.
As part of our refurbishment of the Bille Brown Theatre in 2018, an all-new, high filtration air conditioning system was installed and will continue to operate at a full audience capacity setting to maximise ventilation in the space.
So while things will seem a bit different, our measures are designed to help everyone feel safe, relaxed and ready to enjoy amazing live theatre again.
We welcome your feedback for ways we can improve our COVID-Safe measures and look forward to seeing you here soon!
Last updated 22 January 2021.